EC Leadership Live 2018
In 2018, we gathered together a select group of highly driven owners and directors who are committed to excellence for the EC Leadership Live event, hosted by Chanie Wilschanski.
The conference was divided into four main sections: leadership, productivity, parent relationships, and culture and environment.
An application-only event, we spent two days learning from guest experts - from actionable strategies, to scripts for difficult conversations, to mindset work that skyrocketed our leadership skills, it was an incredible time for owners and directors to connect with each other and do deep work on their leadership and focus.
As well as guest experts Lolly Daskal, Rivka Caroline, and Yamalis Diaz, Chanie helped owners and directors plan out their entire year at the event, making sure that every day and hour is accounted for and well-spent.
I'm so much more confident in my leadership abilities!
My biggest hesitation in joining was the financial investment, however I viewed it as an investment in myself so I can create a better schools and teachers.
Currently, I am more proactive. I am engaged with my staff and encourage and empower them. I do not try to “solve” the issue for them but, I am asking questions to help them solve the issue for themselves. They love the ownership this gives them and without a doubt they are happier!
What surprised me was how quickly I am able to implement what I have learned and how much more confident I am in my leadership abilities.
Barbara Lobotka // Director, Cardinal Bernardin Early Childhood Center
It's the best staff development i ever experienced!
I am absolutely in awe of the monumental conference you have created for early childhood leaders. And I am so proud to be part of it!
I listened to some of the Leadership presenters late into the night, and although I was exhausted, I came to school energized. It’s the best staff development I ever experienced!
Last year, Lolly Daskal spoke on The 7 Archetypes of Great Leadership: How to Unleash Your Greatness.
Her session covered:
- How to figure out what your “fingerprint” is — the unique way you provide value to the teachers and parents
- The diagnostic steps to help understand how your daily actions reflect the way your team operates
- Specific strategies to understand what gets between you and your greatness
- How to leverage your weakness as the leader
- Understanding the different leadership archetypes and how you show up every day and more
Our attendees loved engaging with Lolly's sessions and working through the practical ways we can level-up our leadership skills.
About Lolly Daskal
Lolly Daskal is one of the most sought-after executive leadership coaches in the world, and we were thrilled to have her deliver training at the 2018 EC Leadership Live event.
Her extensive cross-cultural expertise spans 14 countries, six languages and hundreds of companies. As founder and CEO of Lead From Within, her proprietary leadership program is engineered to be a catalyst for leaders who want to enhance performance and make a meaningful difference in their companies, their lives, and the world. Based on a mix of modern philosophy, science, and nearly thirty years coaching top executives, Lolly’s perspective on leadership continues to break new ground and produce exceptional results.
We were honoured to have Rivka Caroline as our Productivity speaker, delivering training on Creating Systems for Improved Productivity: Getting to the Root of Time Management Issues.
Her session focused on:
- Banishing the word “busy” from your vocabulary and getting what you want to get done
- The “easy” way to complete your most important work… Even if you’re a busy director, have lots of responsibilities and a “million things” to do each day
- A practical visualization exercise that helped directors and owners crystallize what they wanted in their schools and lives, enabling them to action it immediately
- Practical strategies for structuring your workday for minimum stress and maximum motivation
- Tips for breaking down any big project down into small, manageable chunks
- How to identify your “highest value” activities and use your time in the best way possible
- How to construct a simple daily routine to help you establish priorities, limit procrastination, keep track of goals, and even make you healthier!
About Rivka Caroline
With 7 kids and a husband too, Rivka has had to be an expert in everyday organization for the last 20 years. Be it getting out the front door with all the correct paraphanalia, meal times, school bag preparation or just keeping the kids focused and calm ( most of the time ..). Rivka has real-life experience on going from frazzled to being focused.
Born and raised in London, England, Rivka moved to New York in 1993 with her husband and they moved to Miami in 1994 where they have lived since. Having helped thousands of mothers with their organizational skills and improving their happiness and efficiency, Rivka wrote her first book ‘From Frazzled to Focus’ created a time management agenda and is busy working on her next time management book.
Using her masters degree in Psychology to help get to the root of time management issues ,Rivka is a frequent public speaker across the USA and internationally on the subject of living a better, more organized life, and simple yet effective tools on how to get there.
Dr Yamalis Diaz
In 2018, Dr. Yamalis Diaz, professor of child and adolescent psychiatry at NYU was our featured Parent Partnership speaker on the topic of Scripting Through Challenging Parent Conversations.
In her session, we learned:
- How to set respectful boundaries with parents about communication
- The exact script to use to let a parent know that now is not the time to talk
- How to assist your staff with scripting through difficult parent conversations
- How to hold a parent accountable for gossiping about other kids, teacher or parents in school
- How to deal with parents who are toxic, needy, in denial, aggressive and more
- How to break through teacher defensiveness when giving them feedback on their relationship or communication with parents.
About Dr. Yamalis Diaz
Yamalis Diaz, PhD is a clinical assistant professor of child and adolescent psychiatry at the NYU School of Medicine. She is also a licensed psychologist in the Institute for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity and Behavior Disorders at The Child Study Center at NYU Langone Medical Center. Dr. Diaz specializes in behavioral parent training, including Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) and other behavioral interventions to help parents develop effective strategies for managing their child’s attention and behavior problems.
In 2018, I revealed how you can create the culture and team that you want - who will follow your vision and dream, and who will be truly committed to your school.
- How to identify the 3 C’s in your leadership team
- The Ladder of Leadership
- Consistent simple actions you can take everyday to ensure success
- The exact steps to take to start creating a culture of innovation
- The month by month formula for boosting morale and how that practically looks in your classroom.
- How to work with emotionally needy teachers
- How to satisfy the teacher who need endless compliments - finally!
- Dealing with passive aggressive behavior
- Scripts for calling out on toxic and gossip behavior and how to ensure it doesn’t happen again
I’m an Early Childhood Leadership Coach and Culture Specialist, and have had the privilege of working with hundreds of EC Directors who are working to build a school of excellence.
I began my journey over a decade ago, teaching toddlers at the acclaimed Preschool of the Arts in NYC.
Continuing my path into higher studies, I got my Masters in EC and Special Education, and started training teachers and school leaders on the HOW part of creating excellence in their schools.
Through my journey, I got married and had 4 children (ages 1, 4, 6 and 8). My hands are full! I know what it takes to lead a large center and have a full-time job at home as well.